HOME PAGE  |  CONTACT US  |  MEMBER LOGIN »

Saturday, January 20th 2018

Post 192 History

The Washington Elm VFW Post 192, whose motto is “Honor the dead by helping the living”, was established in St. Bartholomew’s Church Parish Hall in Ho-Ho-Kus in 1939 by 25 veterans from WWI. The Post was named in memory of the famous elm tree from which General Washington is alleged to have reviewed his troops while in Ho-Ho-Kus during the Revolutionary War. A permanent home for the post was built on Cliff Street in 1955-57 on land purchased for a nominal fee from the Borough.

In 1964 and 1976, VFW Posts from Ridgewood merged with Post 192 and became part of the rejuvenated, 89 member Ridgewood—Ho-Ho-Kus organization of today.

Through the years, the Post and its ladies auxiliary have been very active in local affairs including the fire department, Boy Scouts, a Post Drill Team, Civil Defense (now CERT), Memorial Day Parade Sponsorship and activities, hospital work, bike-a-thon sponsorships, academic contests, and many other community events.

Among many donations throughout the years, the Post in 1942 sponsored the construction of the Honor Roll of Veterans from the Borough; in 1956, the members of Post 192 were instrumental in the formation of the Ho-Ho-Kus Memorial Volunteer Ambulance Corps.; and in 2009, the Post donated the Public Announcement Board now in front of the Ho-Ho-Kus Post Office on Franklin Tpke. to commemorate the Borough’s 100th Anniversary of Incorporation.

Meetings are held at 7:30 p.m. on the second Wednesday of each month and interested veterans who have served overseas may contact Stanley A. Kober at 201-445-1121 for information or e-mail vfwpost192@vfwpost192-nj.com  about qualifications needed to join the VFW.

 

VETERANS DAY 11-11-11  (click on link at left)

 

VFW POST 192

Washington Elm VFW Post 192 is located at 620 Cliff Street in Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ 07423 and welcomes as members all active duty or veterans of all wars, conflicts, and military actions, if qualified.